His First Day of Pre-K

If you follow my Facebook posts you know that I have been spending the last few days talking to Layton about moving classrooms. He is now old enough to head to Pre-K and he is NOT at all excited. Needless to say, he is my brother to a T when it comes to change. He does not do well, AT ALL! We have talked and talked and he has tried to convince me that he is going to school naked, so they will send him home. He told me that I don’t have to go to work, he doesn’t want any more toys, and therefore I can stay with him at school all day. This has went on for a few days now, constantly…

Well, today was the day. I planned on waking up at regular school time.I was going to get ready and drop him on at the same time I always do. Well my sleepy tiny human was NOT getting up. So I let him sleep a little longer, hoping it would put him in a great mood when he woke up. I knew I had to have him there by 8, so he could have breakfast with his friends.

I got him up, praying this would go my way. He didn’t say much, just asked if I would stay at school with him. He got ready, we joked and laughed. I took him outside to take his picture. I had to hold myself together and was glad that I kept my sunglasses on. I knew if he saw one tear, I would loose and he would win. I had to bite my tongue and bare it! When we walked out his favorite neighbor was there to wish him good luck! He was so excited! He took his picture, ran with the dog and jumped in the car.

The ride was silent. He played his iPad, ate the rest of his cereal bar and I could tell he was contemplating what was about it happen. I tried to talk to him and keep myself together. (I cry at the drop of a hat) Turned on our favorite song, but that 6-minute ride felt like 2.

As soon as we pulled in the parking lot he takes a deep breath and says in a crackling tiny voice, “Mommy, you are staying with me all day, right?” I took a deep breath and told him I couldn’t stay and I had to go to work. That’s when my heart sank and he lost it. The tears were flowing; he refused to get out of his seat, kicking as hard as he could while death gripping his seat. Again, I took a deep breath, kept my sunglasses on and pried him out.

Once inside, I couldn’t even type the passcode in correctly as my mind was going a mile a minute. I was trying so hard to calm him down and talk to him. He continued to cry and throw his body trying to get to his old classroom.

**In a way I don’t blame him for wanting to go to his old room. He had been with that teacher for a year. She is wonderful! She was the best with him and he loved her dearly! I knew he was always taken care of in that room when she was there.**

The walk to his new class is a long one, all the way down the hall, the last door on the left. The longest walk EVER!!! When we walked in his friends were so excited to see him. One of his best friends is in his new class and he was so excited to read books with Layton. I noticed another friend that he played with every morning when I dropped him off early. The girl that screams and yells of excitement when Layton walks through the door was there. “IT’S LAYTON!!!” she screams as she keeps singing and twirling around the room!

I took him to his cubby, placed his new Spiderman backpack inside. Took out his blanket and Mickey for naptime. The whole time he has me in a chokehold death grip, crying alligator tears. I told him he was fine and that we can do something special after school. I hand him off to his teacher and rush out the door. The walk back to the office seemed like it was longer than the one to the classroom.

When I get to the office I pull myself together, type in the passcode, sign him in and walk to the monitors. I watch for a couple minutes. He’s not crying, he is sitting in front of his cubby with Mickey. At least he’s not crying, he’s not running, he’s just pouting. I can leave.

I get to the car and loose my mind! How in the world did I just drop off my 6lbs 8oz baby for his first day of Pre-K? What is happening? I blinked and now this! This weekend he was getting his own food and doing all these “big boy” things. I was so proud of him, but so sad at the same time. Why do the have to grow so fast?

When I pulled myself together, I thought to myself. At least I didn’t miss his first day. As a teacher, all the Teacher Moms’ were posting last night they were so sad they were missing the first day. Being a teacher definitely has its perks but if you have your own kids, there are also the cons. I don’t know how I would have made it through the day today if I had to go to work. It would have been done, but I would have been hard. I’m so glad I didn’t miss this, even though it was stressful. Thankfully, I won’t miss the next 6 first days either because next year he will be with me for the first day. We get to go to school together and I’m so excited!

For now though, I’m so proud of the boy that he has grown into. He is definitely one of a kind. He has the personality to light up a room. He’s got the attitude of his mother and the whit of his father. He is a lover to the core and will do anything to help. He is my best friend and he lights up my day with that contagious laugh. He is so curious and so smart. I’m so lucky that I get to be his “So, Mom” and “Hey, Mom” forever. I would never change anything about him, ever. He is mine forever and I’m so proud!

Now to clean my house until 3:00 when I can pick him up and we can go for ice cream! I can’t wait to hear about his day, cuddle him and laugh the rest of the night…


We can then hopefully sleep peacefully and try for no tears tomorrow. =)

No comments

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top